Monday afternoon after we got back home from the temple we decided to pack up and go camping. Since it was not a planned trip we gathered up what little camping stuff we have, and headed out. We were on our way to Allegany state park, it is about an hour and a half drive. I was so exicted, I love to camp, and to hang out with John out in the beautiful park and camp would be awesome. We made it there, and picked out the perfect spot. First, I must say Allegany is so beautful. There is a pretty lake, with people fishing and boating, a large picnic area with courts, and grills.
There are also cabins to rent and of course camping. The green trees and cool breeze made me even more excited. Our campsite was pretty secluded, trees surrounded us, which was a good thing, because we slept under the stars. That is right, no tent for us. We really were roughing it! People had campers, tents, even DISH network, but us, nothing but some blankets, and each other. Let's just say we were in survival mode. not only did we survive, but we had a blast. That night, we took a little hike, and started the fire.
We had packed some nice tin foil dinners, that we threw in the fire. Isn't it weird how things seem to taste better when you are camping? . Enjoying chicken with some veggies around a warm fire, John said it was a highlight! We also brought some stuff to make Smores. We enjoyed our night chatting under the stars, keeping warm by the fire.
I forgot to mention as we were checking in, there were signs, notifying us of black bear sightings in the park, and warnings and what not. I was getting a little nervous, since we had no tent. When it came time for bed, we buddled up in all the blankets we brought. It was pretty chilly and John did not pack a sweatshirt so I pretty much had to swaddle him. We were awakened several times during the night, thankfully no black bears, but several raccoons. They came right into our camp site. It was crazy cause these little guys were rummaging all around the camp, climbing up on the picnic table and checking out the ashes from the fire. we even heard one jiggle the door handle on our maxima. John woke up once to one sniffing his head! Weird huh! So needless to say, our night sleep was not the best. We woke up, started a fire, warmed up some water for some hot cider, had breakfast and just relaxed.
On our way out we stopped by the lake for some gorgeous views, the park had numerous biking and hiking paths. John and I had a great experience camping, I want to go back already, maybe next time we will bring a tent. We recommend Allegany park to anyone for camping or a nice picnic!
When we go home, we first showered off, you know that camping smell when you have been out in the wild, and then took a little nap to make up for our lack of sleep!
4 comments:
You guys have some fun adventures. Looks like you have fun exploring the east coast. I love all of your blog postings Sarah...you are the cutest.
that sounds like it was fun. we LOVE to camp, too!! we will have to check out A.S.P. when we get back.
john you look a little like ben affleck in that last picture.
You guys are CRAZY! Oh my gosh, I would die if I had a racoon sniffing my head, I would be in that car faster than anything!
I love reading your blog. Keep up the good times!
Post a Comment